Casting Begins for Season 2 of CTV’s THE LAUNCH
– Casting details and latest updates available now at CTV.ca/TheLaunch –
– Production of THE LAUNCH to begin this September in Toronto –
– Season 1 of THE LAUNCH has already delivered a certified Platinum single, a string of consecutive #1 hits in Canada, and the signing of the artists to single and development deals with Big Machine Label Group –
May 7, 2018
TORONTO (May 7, 2018) – Hot on the heels of a breakthrough inaugural season that delivered a series of consecutive #1 hit songs and amassing more than 12 million streams internationally to date – including one certified Platinum single – CTV announced today that casting for Season 2 of its hit original series THE LAUNCH IS NOW OPEN. Production of the CTV’s original series, a new format that garnered an exclusive worldwide distribution deal with Sony Pictures Television (SPT), is set to begin filming once again in Toronto this coming fall for the 2018/19 Season.
Aspiring megastars can prep their auditions for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with some of the biggest names in music and to record a new original song written by some of the best songwriters in the world. The deadline for submission is Monday, June 11 at 11:59 PM ET. For all casting details and updates, including instructions on how to apply, fans can visit CTV.ca/TheLaunch, the CTV Facebook Page, and follow @TheLaunchCTV on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
“As THE LAUNCH continues to attract attention around the world, we’re thrilled to be back in production with this unique Canadian format,” said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media and Executive Producer, THE LAUNCH. “We can’t wait to discover the next group of hit-making artists in Season 2.”
“As the media landscape continues to change ever so rapidly, some things never change as innovation, proof of concept, great talent, great songs and great story-telling are cornerstones to great opportunity and great entertainment,” said Scott Borchetta, Founder/President/CEO of the Big Machine Label Group and co-creator and Executive Producer of THE LAUNCH. “The first season of THE LAUNCH provided all of that and more. I’m thrilled with the success of our very first season and can’t wait to meet the next wave of incredible talent to take on Season 2 of THE LAUNCH!”
Among the 30 artists cast to appear in THE LAUNCH last season, the series’ six singles by chosen artists continue to hit the high notes with audiences across Canada and around the world:
• Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine’s “Ain’t Easy” was certified Platinum in Canada in early May and is still growing in popularity among listening audiences. The pop/jazz/hip-hop/R&B duo are slated to perform at the Sony Pictures Television Upfront event in Hollywood later this month.
• The first four singles from THE LAUNCH chosen artists (POESY’s “Soldier of Love”, Logan Staats “The Lucky Ones”, Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine’s “Ain’t Easy”, and The Static Shift’s “Wide Awake”) soared to #1 on iTunes Canada immediately following release.
• The sixth and final single “Giants” from 13-year-old Toronto resident Ethan Young vaulted into the Top 5 on iTunes’ pop chart and Top 10 in all genres following release, while Jayd Ink’s “Codes” debuted at #7 on iTunes’ pop chart.
• Breakout artists from Season 1 of THE LAUNCH have secured single representation deals with Big Machine Label Group, including Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine, The Static Shift , Logan Staats, POESY, and Ethan Young
• In addition, Episode 1 shortlisted aspiring artist Vivian Hicks was officially signed to a development deal with Big Machine Label Group in April 2018, with artist Zack Lane also optioned to a single deal.
• All songs released have surpassed close to 12 million streams internationally to date.
Reinventing the music television series genre, in each stand-alone episode of THE LAUNCH, unsigned emerging artists audition for the opportunity to learn, record and perform their version of a new original song by a world famous songwriter/producer. The artists are mentored by a panel of internationally renowned music industry legends, who then decide which version of the song will be released across the country immediately following the broadcast of the episode each week.
A staggering roster of musical A-listers joined Borchetta as mentors in Season 1 of THE LAUNCH, including international musical icon and reigning “Queen of Country Pop” Shania Twain; Culture Club alumnus and Grammy® Award-winner Boy George; eight-time GRAMMY® Award-winning multi-platinum superstar Fergie; Canadian GRAMMY® Award-winning singer and songwriter and international pop sensation Alessia Cara; rock icon and founding member of legendary rock band Mötley Crüe Nikki Sixx; Grammy®-nominated Best New Artist of the Year Julia Michaels; and Grammy® Award-winner and co-founder of country-pop duo Sugarland Jennifer Nettles.
Award-winning producers/songwriters cast alongside Borchetta in the breakout season of THE LAUNCH included OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder, busbee (P!nk, Shakira, Blake Shelton), Dann Huff (producer behind more than 50 #1 hit records ), Grammy®-nominated record producer Ian Kirkpatrick (behind multi-platinum hit songs from Jason Derulo and Selena Gomez), and OSCAR® and GRAMMY® nominated producer Stephan Moccio, the music mastermind behind massive, inescapable hits like the quintuple-platinum “Wrecking Ball”.
The inaugural edition of THE LAUNCH, created for CTV – Canada’s most-watched private broadcaster – premiered on the network January 11, 2018. Each weekly episode’s song was released immediately following broadcast, leveraging the multiple platforms and resources of Bell Media, Canada’s leading content company, including Bell Media Radio, Canada’s largest radio broadcaster, along with the iHeartRadio Canada app and Bell Media’s stable of leading digital and TV properties. Bell Media’s commitment to the chosen artists continued with major media and promotion the day after the episodes air on flagship Bell Media radio and television properties. Season 1 of THE LAUNCH is available in Canada streaming on CTV.ca, CTV GO, CraveTV and on the series’ YouTube channel from Canada (subscribe to THE LAUNCH).
THE LAUNCH format was put into development in January 2016 and was co-developed by Randy Lennox and Bell Media in association with Scott Borchetta of Big Machine Label Group, and Paul Franklin of Eureka (MASTERCHEF, THE BIGGEST LOSER), in partnership with John Brunton and Lindsay Cox of Insight Productions (THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, CANADIAN IDOL, THE JUNO AWARDS). (CTV)